FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 27, 2022
Contact: Shanel Lindsay
** MEDIA ADVISORY **
Cannabis Policy Committee Co-Chair
Sen. Sonia Chang Diaz, Rep. Chynah Tyler &
Cannabis Control Commissioner Nurys Camargo to
Join Advocates & Social Equity Businesses for a Virtual
Rally for Cannabis Equity on Thursday
Event hosted by Equitable Opportunities Now
WHAT: Virtual Rally for Cannabis Equity
WHEN: Thursday, April 28 at 12 p.m.
WHERE: Your computer! RSVP for the live-streamed virtual rally on Eventbrite.
- State Sen. Sonia Chang Diaz, Co-Chair, Joint Committee on Cannabis Policy
- Rep. Chynah Tyler, Massachusetts Black and Latino Caucus
- Cannabis Control Commission Commissioner Nurys Camargo
- Equitable Opportunities Now! Co-Founder Shanel Lindsay
- Foundation for Business Equity Executive Director Glynn Lloyd
- Black Economic Council of Massachusetts Policy Lead Darien Johnson
- Social Equity Cohort Participant Gary Perry, Tiny Trap Concerts
- Social Equity Applicant Kizzy Key, High Thirst
- Laury Lucien, EvoLucien Cannabis Brands
- Chauncy Spencer, Sankofa Cannabis
- Equitable Opportunities Now! Program Director Eve Santana
- Grant Smith
WHY: Six years after Question 4 passed, the promise of equity in the cannabis industry that the voters passed into law has yet to become a reality – but we’re getting closer:. Last legislative session, the Massachusetts House of Representatives passed a host community reform bill and earlier this month, the state Senate passed a comprehensive cannabis equity reform bill! Now is the time to build on that momentum to encourage the House to continue their leadership on cannabis reform by taking up the Senate’s bill and passing meaningful change to foster equitable participation in the Commonwealth’s cannabis industry.
“We’re honored to be joined by staunch advocates for equity like Sen. Chang Diaz, Rep. Tyler, and Commissioner Camargo – and excited to shine a spotlight on the entrepreneurs most impacted by cannabis policy,” said Equitable Opportunities Now Co-Founder Shanel Lindsay. “The Senate’s passage of a comprehensive cannabis equity bill was a huge step forward and we’re excited to join together to urge the House to continue their leadership on this issue by taking up the bill.”
Equitable Opportunities Now (EON) exists to educate and empower people of color to become active participants in the Massachusetts legal cannabis market. EON’s mission is to ensure equitable ownership and employment opportunities for Black and Brown Communities who have been targeted by the War on Drugs. EON believes that in order to best address the lasting effects of prohibition, we must facilitate access. EON supports transition from the legacy to the legal market and forging a path of economic empowerment for people with past marijuana convictions and returning citizens.